There’s always something on the go at home with two busy professionals, a
toddler Preschooler Primary student (!), three cats (okay, the cats don’t seem to do anything, but I’m not convinced they’re entirely innocent of any wrong doing), but that doesn’t mean I’m just punching the eight to four ticket – here’s some of the stuff I’m up to right now:
- Working as the Regional Public Affairs Officer for the Regional Cadet Support Unit (Atlantic), more details on that here.
- The partner in crime, John, and I pitched a far more holistic strategy for resourcing communications activities within the organization, focusing on staff and participants sharing their story, and embracing the concept of “Platform Neutrality” to further eliminate our team “shooting for the shelf”. At some point in time I’ll need put this to a blog post, but for now we’re just in execution mode.
- Finances. Always laser focused on these finances.
- Still looking at side-hustle options a la Tim Ferriss’ Dreamlining techniques from his book The 4-Hour Work Week. In fact I’m seeing a need for some sort of resource for smaller firms and businesses who need help in the field of communications and would otherwise want to bootstrap, as well as a professional development outlet for young public relations professionals. I’m thinking an online repository, maybe just a blog or a podcast. Very interested in chatting with others about it.
- Also thinking about getting into “making” some more stuff around the apartment. Think shelving… actually think shelving, we need some freaking shelves. Mainly for the preschooler’s toys and art things.
- I gave up on coding my own WordPress site for the time being for one very important decision: I found a theme that works for me from the same folks at Themeshaper. In fact, the themes I fell in love with were based on the core theme you learn to develop using their multi-part tutorial on coding a complete and compliant WordPress theme. So I did learn how to code a WordPress theme and can still edit and manipulate the themes that seem to have about 80% of what I was aiming to achieve.
- I’m still looking at reviving my love of programming by way of adding a “stats corner” here on my website that’ll plug into the various spreadsheets I use on Google Drive to help track and refine my habits and progress on things like debt reduction. The spreadsheets are setup, and Google Sheets now supports pivot tables (powered by AI no less) so, maybe I don’t need to code?
- Codecademy. Learning code for free? That’s right, there’s no excuse any more.
- Been rocking IFTTT to automate stuff, including draft content I hope to write for this site. Most importantly, I have a “Captain’s Log” now courtesy of the service and Google Assistant. Yes, I am a nerd.
- Took on a role with Roots and Boots Forest School as their communications and strategic planning adviser. I’m hoping to refine an approach with this awesome team that I can maybe offer to other organizations in the future. But for now, I’m just happy to be part of a wonderfully passionate team dedicating to promoting resilient kids who love the outdoors.
Last updated October 5, 2019.